Medicare Open Enrollment in New York City: It’s Time to Review Your Coverage
Medicare Open Enrollment is here, and it’s time to review your Medicare coverage for 2024. During Open Enrollment, which runs from October 15 to December 7.
You can make changes to your Medicare plan, including:
- Enrolling in a new Medicare plan
- Switching to a different Medicare plan
- Dropping a Medicare plan
If you live in New York City, you have several options for Medicare coverage. You can choose Original Medicare (Parts A and B), Medicare Advantage (Part C), or a combination of both. You can also purchase a Medigap plan (also known as Medicare Supplement Insurance) to help cover out-of-pocket costs under Original Medicare.
Why is it important to review your Medicare coverage during Open Enrollment?
Your needs and budget may change over time, so it’s important to review your Medicare coverage each year to make sure you’re getting the best plan for your needs. For example, you may want to switch to a plan with lower premiums or a plan that offers different benefits.
To review your Medicare coverage, you can:
- Talk to your doctor or other healthcare provider. They can help you understand your options and choose the best plan for your needs.
- Call Medicare at 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227). Medicare representatives can help you compare plans and enroll in a new plan.
- Use the Medicare Plan Finder on the Medicare.gov website. The Plan Finder allows you to compare plans in your area and see which plans meet your needs.
When choosing a Medicare plan, consider the following factors:
- Your needs and budget. What benefits are important to you? How much can you afford to pay in premiums and out-of-pocket costs?
- Your provider network. Do you want to see your current doctor and other healthcare providers? If so, make sure they are in the network of the plan you’re considering.
- Your prescription drug coverage. If you take prescription drugs, make sure the plan you choose covers the drugs you need.
- Your Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap). If you’re enrolled in Original Medicare, you may want to purchase a Medigap plan to help cover out-of-pocket costs.
How to enroll in a Medicare plan
If you’re new to Medicare, you can enroll online at Medicare.gov or by calling Medicare at 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227).
If you’re already enrolled in a Medicare plan, you can make changes to your coverage during Open Enrollment. You can also make changes outside of Open Enrollment if you have a qualifying life event, such as losing your job or moving to a new area.
Don’t miss the Medicare Open Enrollment deadline!
The deadline to enroll in a new Medicare plan or make changes to your existing plan for 2024 is December 7. After that date, you’ll have to wait until the next Open Enrollment period to make changes to your coverage.
For more information about Medicare Open Enrollment in New York City, please visit the Medicare website or call Medicare at 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227).
Additional tips for Medicare Open Enrollment in New York City
- Get help from a trusted advisor. A Medicare counselor or agent can help you understand your options and choose the best plan for you.
- Be prepared to answer questions about your health. Medicare plans will ask you questions about your health history and medications when you enroll.
- Don’t be afraid to negotiate. Some Medicare plans may be willing to negotiate premiums or other costs.
- Shop around. Compare plans from multiple insurance companies before you enroll.
Medicare Open Enrollment is an important time to review your Medicare coverage and make sure you’re getting the best plan for your needs. By following the tips above, you can make the most of this important period.